The Bishops of REBAC (Ecclesial Network of the Congo Basin) have received reports on the mapping of socio-environmental and pastoral challenges and the commitment of the Catholic Church to achieve a Sustainable conservation of Congo Basin forests.
The presentation took place in Brazzaville, the capital of the Republic of Congo, from 11-15 December 2018 as part of the SECAM Golden Jubilee reflection on Life and Creation.
The mappings captured the socio-environmental and pastoral challenges and opportunities in the Congo Basin.
Reports were presented by four countries in the Congo Basin Region; Cameroon, Central African Republic, the Republic of Congo and the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Reports were towards addressing challenges like:
– deforestation and forest degradation;
– illegal and uncontrolled exploitation of natural resources;
– threats to the preservation of water resources in the Congo Basin;
– low education and awareness of ecological gestures;
– land grabbing;
– global warming and disruption of agricultural calendars; etc.